This will be an evolving section that will hopefully be a good resource for finding suitable observing sites. If you are planning an observing session and want to invite others, please link to directions here rather than duplicating them in discussions. Above all, if you know of a good site that isn’t represented here, start a discussion on Facebook or the email list. Pictures are very helpful!
You use any of these sites at your own risk. Please plan accordingly, as some of these sites are remote. Most do not have running water or bathrooms.
- Near Fairfield, UT
- Roughly 22 miles from exit 278
- No dirt road
- At the edge of the west desert, west of Camp Floyd
- 31.5 miles from exit 278
- About 5 miles of dirt road
- Very good horizons
- Dark. Bortle 3 bordering on 2
- 54 miles from exit 278
- Around 20 miles of dirt road, depending on your route
- Can have cattle nearby
- Very peaceful
- Excellent northern and eastern horizons. South and west somewhat compromised but still good
- Also on the edge of the west desert, northwest of the Pit ‘n Pole
- 55 Miles from exit 278
- No dirt
- 13 miles from exit 272
- Timpanogos Cave star parties
- 14 miles east of exit 284
There are a number of places on the internet where you can find dark sky sites. The club cannot vouch for any of these sites. Treat this information accordingly.